What is Executive Coaching?
Just as you appoint a coach to show you how to be more successful at your favourite sport, so you may need an executive coach to build some extra business muscle. Most executive coaching clients have very specific reasons for appointing a coach. Get executive coaching with Q Financial Horizons.
Common reasons include:
- Not knowing which strategies to implement in order to kick-start business growth.
- A lack of management skills and support within teams, making it difficult to have productive business discussions with existing staff.
- Confidentiality issues that make business owners worried about sharing information with others so that they can get advice.
- A desire to learn new management skills that will help to move the organization forward.
- Wanting to implement change, but not being sure what ought to change.
- A need to identify first priorities among a plethora of possible options.
How executive coaching makes you stronger
A good business coach will never walk into your business and “take over”. You have to own the entire process from beginning to end. You will get help, guidance and advice, but the implementation is up to you. Executive Coaching Sydney.
To draw a parallel, a sports coach would not run onto the field and take over your position on the team. That would not help you become a stronger player. In executive coaching, the same is true. Executive coaching should equip you with new skills that will last a lifetime, and the only way for you to learn them is to practice them for yourself.
In addition, it is often hard to view our own businesses objectively. We are passionate about them, and that’s how it should be, but sometimes an unemotional, third party opinion may illuminate important points of which we have been unaware because we are in the thick of things.
Of course, you could just attend business training courses, but the information is generic. It is not specifically targeted at your business or at you as a person. Coaching, on the other hand allows you to learn new skills as well as to discover and play to your strengths as you run your business and make your strategic plans.
Most important of all, coaching is about helping you reach your goals. Nobody can tell you what your goals should be, but you know what you want to achieve. The coach works with you to set your feet on the path to realizing the dreams you have for your business and for yourself.
You and your management team
Executive coaches are often appointed to help entire management teams. All too often, people struggle to find time to work on their own development as managers and when change is needed, the common human reaction is one of resistance: “But we’ve always worked this way! Why change it now.”
Obviously, however, although change may be difficult, this does not mean it should be avoided. Businesses that fail to adapt to changing business needs and environments will not reach their full growth potential.
Major businesses appoint executive coaches for several reasons:
- Developing the potential of personnel with high potential.
- Helping new managers to adapt to their roles successfully.
- Correcting conflicts and behavioural problems at management level.
- Mediating conflicts between management and staff.
Read More: How Executive Coaching Works.